Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Washing Machine Repair...coming soon.

We moved into our house in 2008, and my parents very generously warmed it with a brand new HE Whirlpool front load washer and dryer.  Sadly, the washer started making a loud jet engine noise during the spin cycle about 2 years ago.  We called out the repairman, who spun the basket once, announced the bearing had gone bad and the whole drum needed to be replaced.  He charged me $130, and quoted $1050 to repair it.  That was about $250 more than the machine cost brand new.  So.

We found just the bearing and seals available online via Yellow Van Handyman, and set off to follow the repair instructions via YouTube.  And it worked OK, but we did something wrong when we put it all back together because something was thumping loudly.

After a few months, my parents rode in to the rescue again and bought us a replacement.

A replacement Whirlpool.

This one.

I think you can see where this is going.

18 months later, same song, different verse.  I KNEW the bearing had gone AGAIN.  And yet, I called the repairman again.  And paid $130 again, to be quoted more than the cost of a new machine for the repair.  And, of course, Whirlpool only warranties the machine for 12 months.  *outrage*eye twitch*

So.  I just put my order in at Yellow Van Handyman for another new bearing replacement.  Hopefully, I'll be able to use our lessons learned from the first repair on this second one, and help you if you're in my same, sad situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment