Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It's Curtains For You, Kiddo...

The kiddo's room is slowly moving from toddler to definite big-kid space.  My mom sewed a great big kid baseball valance, but the curtains were still firmly "baby" stripes from Lowe's.  Despite being hung way too low, they were still a good 6" from the floor.  It looked like we were getting ready for a flood.  On the third floor.

Backlit curtains made it impossible to show you the full shot - sorry...

Thanks to an AMAZING (yes, capital letters amazing) sale at Pottery Barn, I scored new 108" drapes for the kiddo's room for $25 each.  Normally, they're $140 or some nonsense like that.  



I never ever would have bought them at full price, but I REALLY appreciate how nice they are.  As soon as I got them hung, I texted my mom:




So, first step was to hang the curtain rod brackets way higher - almost all the way to the ceiling.  This had the added benefit of letting me attach the brackets directly into the stud, instead of needing to add 3 more gaping holes for anchors (like I now have to fill).



 Up went the valance while I was waiting for the curtains to be done in the dryer.


The existing curtain hold-backs stayed.  They are just regular baseball coat hooks from the craft store turned on their sides and held up with 3M strips.  They've been up and used daily for about 3 years now, and they show no signs of wobbling.  


Then, ahhh, perfection...

Sorry for the crappy backlit shot...
 I LOVE LOVE LOVE curtains that pool on the floor.  My mom HATES them.  So if your eye is twitching looking at this last picture, know you're in good company.


One day, the kiddo will get serious about asking for a new paint job in his room - that and the rocking chair are really our last nursery holdouts.  I figure he'll let me know when he's ready; until then, I can pretend my son is still a baby for a few moments longer...




No comments:

Post a Comment